Today I did many a thing. First and foremost, I did my laundry! Now, that might not sound like much, but it is in fact quite the ordeal. We have a washing room downstairs with washers and dryers, and to wash it’s £1.50, while to try it’s £0.50. And you have to have exactly a one pound coin and a 50 p coin to wash, and a 50 p coin to dry. No 10, or 20 p coin, or, god forbid, 2 pounds and you get a bit of money back. No, exactly one pound and 50 pence (or just 50 p if you’re drying). So yes, to be able to wash my clothes I have been saving my coins for weeks.
I had now accumulated enough 50 p pieces for the two washes I wanted to do (white and colour) and to dry them both (which we have to do, as there are no hanging possibilities anywhere really.), so I went for it. The washing takes 40 minutes, and the drying an hour, which means you can’t really go anywhere for two hours because you have to run up and down to put your clothes in the washer, take them out of the washer and put them into the drier, put on coins to dry them a second time (as they are still moist after only one round), and finally get them and bring them back up to your room. So yes, laundry day is in fact a day with laundry as the main task. But thankfully, now it’s done and I’ll last a couple of weeks before I have to do it again.
Now, funny fact about dryers: they make your clothes warm and fluffy and huggable. Yes, I did in fact snuggle my towel after taking it out of the dryer. It smelt clean and was delightfully warm and wonderful. I highly recommend using a dryer for all towels always. Wonderful machines.
After finishing my laundry I went to the library and got my library card in order, then I borrowed a ton of books on children’s literature. Hopefully they will be helpful in writing the essay I plan to work on this weekend. If not, well, I know how to use the library now so I can borrow other and better books!
After the library I walked to Putney for the first time. I was going into London and wanted to try my hand at walking to the tube station to find out how far it was. Took me about half an hour, so perfectly acceptable. And it was nice to see more of the area around here.
In London I went to visit Ellen, a friend of mine from Trondheim who arrived here the day before yesterday. She was sitting all alone in a studio apartment by herself, on her birthday. So I visited and we ate cake. Good times :)
And yeah, that’s about it for today. Now pictures! This is from my walk to Putney:
And this is Elli in her wonderful apartment of rainbows, unicorns and gorgeousness (all of which you cannot see, but rest assured, it's there):

0 comments:
Post a Comment