Tuesday, 12 January 2010

Modules and school-related things

So, yesterday and today I had my first classes! The modules I take are as follows:

  • Romanticism and the novel
  • Literature from the 1960s to the present
  • Subversive children's literature

All three are taught in seminars of around 30 people, with a bit of lecturing and a lot of discussion. After the 200-people lectures at Dragvoll, I'm feeling a bit like I'm back in Secondary school, except for the fact that everyone are dreadfully clever and say very clever things. Though, reassuringly, when I think something and don't dare to say it because it might be too far off, someone else expresses a very similar opinion not long after, so although I'm not clever out loud, I am very clever in my head.  And I'm sure that when I get more familiar with the setting and the people (and have actually read the books I'm supposed to before the lesson) I'll be fine.

Now, let's see, there's not much to say about my classes really. All the lecturers seem very good, which is nice, and I've already complained about the amount I have to read in an earlier post, so no need to go into that again. Well, I'll go into it a little. There really is a tremendous amount of books. I'm sure I'll be fine, but still, I'll be spending a lot of time reading this spring. Especially for the Subversive Children's Literature class. We've been told that if we show up without having read the book, we're thrown out. Even if we've read three quarters and the Wikipedia summary, that's not enough, we need to read the entire thing so we're able to participate in the discussion. Which seems rather harsh. I mean, I have three classes each week, which means three books of various lengths I have to read every week, and I haven't yet started because I didn't know this until two days ago. So yeah, I guess I'll at least be reading the subversive ones, and then I'll see how far I get with the others, because the lecturers there aren't as strict. But this all reminds me that I need to get my arse off this blogg and go read The Sorrows of Young Werther, so that's all for now. Over and out. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment