Wednesday, 13 January 2010

Reading lists

Mostly for the sake of Mari.

Romanticism and the Novel

  1. Jane Austen, Sense and Sensibility (Penguin)
  2. J-W Goethe, The Sorrows of Young Werther (Penguin)
  3. Ann Radcliffe, A Sicilian Romance (OUP)
  4. Charles Brockden Brown, Wieland (Penguin)
  5. Marquis de Sade, The Misfortunes of Virtue (OUP)
  6. Heinrich von Kleist, The Marquise of O-- (Penguin)
  7. Walter Scott, Old Mortality (Penguin)
  8. James Fenimore Cooper, The Last of the Mohicans (OUP)
  9. Mary Shelley, Frankenstein (OUP)
  10. James Hogg, The Private Confessions of a Justified Sinner (Penguin)
  11. Alexander Pushkin, ‘The Captain’s Daughter’ in The Queen of Spades and Other Stories(penguin)

Literature 1960 to the Present

  1. Harold Pinter, The Caretaker (1960) [Faber]
  2. Ted Hughes, Crow (1972) [Faber]
  3. Doris Lessing, Memoirs of a Survivor (1975)
  4. Seamus Heaney, North (1975) [Faber]
  5. Ian McEwan, First Love, Last Rites (1975) [Vintage]
  6. Angela Carter, Nights at the Circus (1984) [Picador]
  7. Liz Lochhead, Dreaming Frankenstein and Collected Poems (1984) [Polygon]
  8. Martin Amis, Time’s Arrow (1991) [Vintage]
  9. The Methuen Book of Modern Drama: Plays of the ‘80s and ‘90s [Methuen]
  10. Jonathan Coe, What a Carve Up (1994) [Penguin]
  11. Scarlett Thomas, The End of Mr Y (2007) [Canongate]


Subversive Children’s Literature

  1. Robert Cormier, The Chocolate War (1974)
  2. Natalie Babbitt, Tuck Everlasting (1975)
  3. Raymond Briggs, When the Wind Blows (1982)
  4. Aidan Chambers, Dance on my Grave (1982)
  5. Short stories by Farukh Dhondy and Jan Needle
  6. Melvin Burgess, Junk (1996)
  7. Louis Sachar, Holes (1998)
  8. Neil Gaiman, Coraline (2002)
  9. Mark Haddon, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (2003)
  10. Jennifer Donnelly, A Gathering Light (2003)
  11. John Boyne, The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas (2006)



9 comments:

  1. Very cool! I has a jealous now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't be, I have to write 6 essays about these books (or well, some of them), and I'm already panicking >.>

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't panick; my second semester I read 3 novels + a buch of articles each week. And you always have to write at least 6 essays each semester (at least we do at UiO), so you have done that before, it just seems like a lot right now. You'll be fine, it'll be fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. At NTNU we don't, because they can't afford to pay someone to read through our essays, so you have maximum one or two essays to write. Which also sucks, really.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Trine Lise - this is Paul in Belgium. You've moved to my old country! I studied English Literature at St Mary's University College (a rival of Roehampton) not far away. You must go and check out a couple of awesome churches - Putney Vineyard Church or in central London, Holy Trinity Brompton (amazing). Jenny Newbold's boyfriend Bruno goes there. Byeeee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I didn't know that. We write two essays for each class usually. Well, you'll be fine. And you'll become a speed-writer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Paul: thank you very much, I've been looking for a church, so I'll definitely check them out!

    Mari: That I will. And it'll be good practice for my Master's and whatnot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm studying the Methuen one too. Yay for similarities! :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. :O

    ...now that seems far worse than my booklist this semester!

    I'm surprised that I've actually read one of them - "The curious incident of the dog in the night-time". It was neat. Not so big eighter, if my memory is cooperating.

    Anyways; go you! *cheers*

    ReplyDelete